Monday, May 21, 2007

Carolinas

I just got back yesterday after almost two weeks in the Carolinas, mostly for my brother Casey's graduation and commissioning (left - he's the really tall looking shaved head guy, hahaha), but also to get the Columbia house ready for new renters. It was a good trip - a combination of meeting up with family and old friends and making some important decisions, and at the end I was ready to get back. Kris met me at the airport, where I was cranky because I hadn't eaten since about 10am Minneapolis time (Northwest airlines doesn't serve Jess-friendly food during flight; in case any of you don't know by now, I have issues with mayonnaise). I was so happy to get home to the Zeke, but worried at the same time because he has issues with "obsessive-compulsive grooming," when he doesn't get enough attention! So I came home knowing I was going to have to get ready for summer school, get him to the vet, and get over my jet lag. Zeke also seems really tired, and the vet on base can't get him in until the 4th, so I might be taking him to a civilian vet unless he perks up. Or maybe he needs a kitty shrink; who knows?

Little highlights from the trip:

My friends Brandon and Janice (from college) came to Manning with my family, where my parents have a pontoon boat. There were actually about seven people on the boat when I took the picture to the right, but needless to say, small boat and lots of people doesn't leave much room for accurate pictures!

My best friend Nikki and I (posing with GODZILLA, rawr!) had a blast with a window shopping excursion that included an "ugliest dress" contest - I miss her every bit as much as I miss my family. The woman is amazing and has lost FIFTY pounds (0ut of sheer determination and will power) since the last time I saw her. She looks great, and I am so proud of her!

I didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to do, but I think if I had, it would have been really hard to leave it again.

I will post more pictures as I get them - the best family photos (the ones where I am starting to look like the spitting image of my mom and my brother looks exactly like Grandpa) were taken on other people's cameras, so I'll have to collect them and put them up when I get around to it. I'm starting school today - it's a 6pm night class the day after I got back to the island, which means it's going to feel like midnight until 3 in the morning, at least a little, but hopefully with the help of copious amounts of coffee I'll be able to get back into the swing of things quickly. I am actually looking into a couple "something special"s for when Jeff gets back, also... It's really not that much longer now!

--jess

No comments: