Saturday, March 31, 2007

Linsey and Karen invade...the Hawaiian islands!

The picture to the left was taken in Kauai at a little overlook at the end of the road through Waimea Canyon, looking out toward the Na Pali coastline. The coast is used at the beginning of Jurassic Park, when they take the helicopter onto the island. Here, we were standing over clouds, and this picture is what it looks like when you take the picture downward through a cloud on Kauai. I've had a couple people ask me if I messed with the color because the "foliage" looks pink. Actually, that would be the notorious red dirt of Kauai, and the pink in the trees are the blooms of African tulip trees. Nope, it really looked like that - it was incredible.

Linsey and Karen showed up the Wednesday before my spring break, so they checked out the Big Island while I took an enormous biology test. I joined them in Kauai Friday, and we took a good old fashioned girl road trip in our Sebring convertible, which we named Bertha. The picture to the right was also taken in the Waimea Canyon, which Mark Twain dubbed "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific."

When we got back to Oahu, we mostly focused on the North Shore, which was a huge load off after all that driving. We ran across people filming an episode of "Lost" along the road to Kaena Point on Tuesday. One thing we noticed was a randomly placed street sign saying Portland was 32 miles away; being the driver, I was very perplexed by this. We hiked Kaena Point; I figured I'd put enough pictures of Kaena by now that you get the picture. After Kaena, we did a sunset catamaran cruise in Waikiki, where we saw a bunch of humpback whales. They are hard to photograph. So the picture to the left is of a honu hanging out on Papa'iloa Beach, which is where the beach camp scenes on "Lost" are filmed. We probably saw over 10 sea turtles that day, along with a pod of dolpins swimming with a very lucky snorkler.

As usual, pics are up on our Photobucket album. I made a new subalbum for Kauai pictures, because I have every intention of talking Jeff into a trip back when he gets home!!!

I'll close with some "Lost" set pictures; now it's time for me to get back to my boring everyday life again!

--jess

Left: Linsey & Karen at Eko's church
Right: the beach camp

No comments: