Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jeff Spotting - Rhodes, Greece

When I flew out to meet the ship several weeks ago, I went with the assurance that I would be deploying with no port visits over the course of four months of deployment. However, seeing as I have visited a new port roughly every other week, I'm inclined to believe that my assurances were incorrect.

While the intention of our time in Souda focused on maintenance, our time in Rhodes focused on liberty. The name Rhodes applies to both an island and a city, and I had a chance to explore both but only minimally. Unfortunately, the Colossus of Rhodes no longer exists, because it would be really cool to see an ancient wonder of the world. However, the city is split into an old town section and all the periphery new town. Similar to Chania, the old town provides dozens of cafes and shops to wander through, although it is also surrounded by a massive medieval wall.

I was able to take a tour of the entire island which included a trip to a Grecian pottery manufacturer which is basically just a little hut with a foot spun wheel, a paint station, a kiln, and a store to sell the pottery in. We then traveled to the Acropolis of Lindos for a hike up to the top. Other stops included a stop for lunch; local wine, olive oil, and honey tasting; and a visit to a location called "Valley of the Butterflies" that was overrun by butterflies.

At one point during my first night out, I texted Jessica with the comment: "Drinking beer out of a boot, eating grilled octopus, and thinking about stealing a sailboat." The beer boots come in multiple sizes: 1 liter, 1.5 liter, and 2 liter..., the octopus was delicious, and I never got around to stealing a sailboat. I wouldn't be opposed to returning and sailing through all the Greek islands, though.

-jeff

3 comments:

Jess said...

When anyone says anything about the Colossus, I always think of the Duck Tales movie. Maybe I am showing my age...

Jess said...

Also, was the grilled octopus less chewy than the sushi octopus? And I hope these were glass boots and not actual boots; otherwise you might come back with something crazy like pseudomonas or athletes foot of the mouth...

Jeff said...

I don't remember the Duck Tales movie, although I remember the show. What was the Colossus reference there?

The octopus was chewy, but less so than sushi octopus. And the boots were glass like the ones out of "Beerfest." So probably no pseudomonas.